- children's paint
- container for paint
- empty egg cartons (one carton will make 2 caterpillars)
- small, sharp knife
- googly eyes
- coffee stir sticks
- permanent marker
- Rip off the top of the empty egg carton.
- Using a knife, cut down the middle of the carton, lengthwise, so you end up with two strips of six egg cups.
- Using your scissors, cut off the excess bits. The fine details are really up to the individual. I cut enough off each of the sides to minimize lopsidedness when the caterpillar is standing. (But I've seen other people make little legs for them out of the carton itself.)
- Have the child paint the egg carton strip. (Encourage them to paint the outside of it, rather than the inside since this is what will be seen.) Let carton dry
- Choose one end of the strip for the face. Place a dab of glue near the top of the carton strip and have the child place a googly eye onto it. Do the same for the other side. Let dry.
- Using a knife, cut two small slits in the "head", for antennae. (Make sure you don't make the slits bigger than the width of the coffee stir sticks.)
- Break two coffee stir sticks so that they are 3 inches long (or 8cm). Insert them into the holes.
- Draw a smiling mouth with the permanent marker, just below the eyes on the egg carton strip.