Sunday, January 1, 2012

Disney on Ice: 100 Years of Magic (at Rogers Centre)


Dan and I bought tickets to Disney on Ice as part of Noah's Christmas present. Noah has always loved Mickey Mouse and anything Disney. (His favourite Disney movie is Lion King). We splurged for front row tickets, to make sure we could see all the action clearly.


Now, having been there and seen the seating, I would say that there were plenty of other seats that provide just as good a view for less money. Any of the "stadium" seats would be great, since they are leveled. The only seats I would not choose would be anything other than the first row in the VIP section (which is where we were) or anything other than the first row the Field section. Since the rows are not leveled in these sections, your child could have trouble seeing over an adult sitting in front of him.


The show was fantastic. Besides the obvious favourites like Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy (no Pluto, sorry), much of the performance included characters from various Disney Movies. There was one segment that included the heroines: Cinderella, Belle, Ariel, Snow White (and probably some others that escape me now).


Dan and I were both pleasantly surprised that the skating itself was actually very good. Let's face it, they could have easily gotten away with mediocre skaters. The kids would be more than satisfied with the characters in costumes, even if they didn't do anything fancy. But there was such skillful skating that I found myself constantly saying "wow!". 


The best part of the show for me (and I think for Noah as well) was the "It's a Small World After All" number. It was magical with lights, fireworks (very minor), and Mickey in in a pretend hot air balloon. 


Another part of the show I thought was great was when they performed the "Mickey Mouse March", and invited everyone to stand up and march or dance to the song with them. I think Noah felt special to be dancing with his favourite Disney characters, especially in such close proximity!


Other musical numbers featured characters from Disney movies like: The Lion King, Pinocchio, Mulan, Pocahontas, Toy Story, Aladdin, The Incredibles, and Finding Nemo.


The length of the show was optimal for children; about an hour and 45 minutes, with a short intermission. Honestly, I have trouble finding anything critical to say about our experience. Perhaps the time dedicated to Mulan was a little long, but that opinion is purely due to the fact that I'm not as familiar with it as I am the other Disney movies. 


If we go to see Disney on Ice next winter, I think I would want to get the same seating as this time for one very important reason. At the end of the show, Noah was able to shake hands, or give high fives to some of his favourite Disney characters. To me, that is totally worth the extra money. (We paid close to $100 for each of the adult tickets.)  


Still, my review for this particular show, considering what we paid, is that it was excellent. I would completely recommend it, if your child loves Disney.

3 comments:

  1. this is really a nice creation for kids and elders too.. at the age of 45 i also love this and cheer like my grandson..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm not ashamed to say I was just as into it as my son! It brings out the kid in all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Children are looking very pretty and happy,This is a great source of relaxation for children.

    ReplyDelete