Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Easter Eggs



The other morning we decorated Easter eggs. Well, Noah decorated the Easter Eggs while Oscar did other Easter-themed activities.


First, Noah and I dyed some eggs. Last year I used hard-boiled eggs. This year I blew out the inside of the eggs to make them hollow, so that we could do it far in advance of Easter. (I figured I'd better do this activity with Noah now, before the baby comes, just to be on the safe side!) Oscar coloured a large yellow paper Easter egg with marker. Then I helped him paint another paper egg, but he really wasn't into it. Luckily he painted long enough to make a nice decoration for the apartment!


Noah was very gentle with the eggs and didn't break any. Here he is submerging the eggs to get the colour to take, but it takes so long when you're 3 and a half! He became more interested in dyeing his hands. We initially added lemon juice to the water, but switched to vinegar to bring out the colours faster. I would recommend adding vinegar if you are doing this activity with the very young! 


While the eggs sat in their dye, he switched to painting the eggs with a small paint brush. With other eggs, he stuck small Easter stickers on. I'm pretty impressed with his fine motor abilities, since he can get these stickers off their backing without any assistance!


Meanwhile, Oscar was having a great time exploring the plastic eggs and egg carton we use for our "grocery store" pretend play. I think this was his favourite of the activities I set him up with. He took them apart, put them together, arranged them in the carton, and rolled them around his high chair tray. (By the way, he did not want to be free from the high chair, roaming around and playing with toys in the living room. He wanted to be a part of the action at the table! He sat for a long time with this activity. I'm telling you, this kid has great focus!)


Lastly, Noah used his markers to decorate some of the uncoloured eggs. Later, he used marker on the dyed eggs as well. Aren't they beautiful? He apparently wants to give these eggs to family members. He keeps mentioning which ones are for his Oma. He says, "Oma's going to say 'What?!?! You did these all by yourself?'" He's very proud.


Because I had gotten out the plastic eggs that we use for our grocery shopping pretend play, Noah was reminded of this activity and demanded to play it that afternoon. So, we got out the whole bag of pretend groceries, the play money, and set the cash register up. 


I was surprised when I told Oscar and Noah to 'say cheese', and Noah leaned in for a hug! So cute! Oscar has now left the daycare, like his friends Aidas and B., while we wait for the arrival of Noah's little sister. Noah will see his buddies again in May, when I start the daycare back up. I know everyone will have changed so much by then. Keep well, little monkeys!


No comments:

Post a Comment