Sunday, July 21, 2013

Wee Waders


What did we do to keep cool during the oppressive heat wave this past week, you ask? Hang out at the wading pool! Usually, the water in the wading pool is downright frigid. It was only slightly warmer during the heat wave, but the need for relief from the heat lured even little Leila into the deepest part of the pool.


Thomas gets right in as well, but doesn't like to get squirted by the big boys' "Aqua Zookas". I have welcomed splashes from the children this week, and they have equally enjoyed soaking me. I was shocked at how quickly my clothes started to dry! Finally, one day I went all out and wore a bathing suit. Why the heck shouldn't I feel cool and comfortable as well? And if I can't use being a home daycare provider as an excuse to act like a giant child sometimes, where would the fun be in that? We had a wonderful time. :)


Eventually we have a few that stray from the pool and decide it is time to go on the playground. They are allowed to play for a little bit, but in heat like that, I don't like to keep them out too long when they are not actually in water. So this usually means we are nearing the time to go home and have popsicles!


Did you know that it is NEVER, EVER too hot to be a beautiful princess? Just ask Riley. Actually she is our most die-hard wader. I tell her "It's time to go home now, Riley". She says, "But I don't wanna go home!" We continue this conversation, as I slowly chase her around the middle island of the wading pool. One time I had to pick her up and physically carry her from the pool. She never has a full tantrum about this, but she figures she will state her case right until it is obvious that resistance is futile. Then she moves on. She is just a very strong and assertive girl. She has only been here a couple of months, but we love her dearly already.


Here is another way we have been trying to keep cool: popsicles! They are actually pretty healthy too. I use the President's Choice Blue Menu orange juice with added calcium and vitamin D. Thomas approves!


One day we had a pretend picnic in the living room. The kids kept bringing me different sandwiches that they had made, while I was making dinner in the kitchen. There were some pretty odd creations. I tried to explain to the older boys that veggies and ice cream just don't go together, but they insisted I try the broccoli ice cream. Of course once I tried this pretend creation, I realized it was delicious! ;)


Noah and B. were lucky enough to meet some of their classmates at the wading pool this week. They all had fun splashing each other....until someone didn't want to be splashed, which was a common occurence.


Because of the extreme heat, and the fact that we are one kid less on Fridays, I decided it was a good day to go to the big outdoor swimming pool, at our apartment. The kids were so excited! Unfortunately, when we got to the pool at 11am, the lifeguard told us it was adult swim until noon.


We decided to kill some time by buying some popsicles from the little store. Between that and Leila demanding that I help her walk everywhere, we somehow managed to endure the hour, sweating like mad the whole time. I felt so bad for the kids in the extreme heat! Our air conditioner does not work well at all in heat of that intensity.


Anyway, we FINALLY were allowed in the pool, and it was glorious!


B., although a little nervous at first, was very brave, and practised his swimming skills the whole time! Thomas was keen to jump into the pool, again and again!


Riley met us at the pool, with her dad! It was great to have the whole gang together in the big pool. She seemed to enjoy the nice, cool water on such a hot day too. 


Noah has become quite the little fish. He rolls around in the water, practises his back floats, and constantly bobs, to obtain the maximum refreshment!


Leila is getting very comfortable in the water too. I was glad she was able to enjoy the water, even though it was quite a bit cooler than the other in-ground pool at the apartment we usually go to. If it's warm enough next Friday, perhaps we will try this again!


No comments:

Post a Comment