- one 8 ounce package of whole wheat macaroni
- 1 cup's worth of fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 cups of grated medium cheddar cheese
- 1/4 a teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups whole organic milk
- 3 tablespoons of butter at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon of refrigerated butter
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish with 1 tablespoon of (room temperature) butter.
- Cook the macaroni in boiling, salted water until tender.
- Cook the broccoli in boiling water for 1-2 minutes. Drain and cut into tiny pieces (the size of peas).
- Spread half of the macaroni noodles onto the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Cover with half the broccoli bits.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese as your next layer.
- Cut the tablespoon of cold butter into small bits. Sprinkle half over the macaroni and cheese.
- Sprinkle half a tablespoon of flour evenly over the macaroni and cheese, followed by half the salt.
- Repeat layers.
- Pour milk slowly and evenly into the dish.
- Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of room temperature butter with the bread crumbs, until well combined. Sprinkle the crumbs evenly over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
*Other vegetables, such as peas or green beans, can be substituted for the broccoli.