- 4 Popsicle sticks
- white glue
- craft gems (at Walmart)
- Make an "x" shape with 2 Popsicle sticks. Start with one stick positioned diagonally. Place a dab of glue on 1 Popsicle stick and gently place another on top, positioning it, as needed, to make the shape of an "x".
- Place a dab of glue in the centre of the top stick and glue another Popsicle stick on top, in the vertical position.
- Place a dab of glue in the middle of this Popsicle stick and glue the last stick on, positioning it horizontally. Carry your star of Popsicle sticks to a safe place by picking it up by the bottom stick. Let it dry.
- Once it is dry, it is ready to decorate with the gems. Place a little dab of glue on any flat part of a Popsicle stick and glue a gem on. (The 3-year-olds did well using a little paper plate for the glue, and a separate Popsicle stick to dip and dab. Remind them to be gentle!) Continue until you are satisfied with your ornament.
- Tie a knot around the middle of the ornament, and leave a few inches of string at one end. When you have the amount of string you want, cut it and tie a loop big enough to fit around the branch of a Christmas tree.
- All that is left to do is to hang your star on the tree and admire it!
*Variation: We did this craft the easy way. If you would like to make an actual star shape, use 5 Popsicle sticks instead of 4. Glue them together so that they look like this: