Monday, April 11, 2011

Painting Easter Eggs, Pretend Play, and Other Tidbits

After enjoying the "Grocery Store" pretend play, I figured we'd try a different scenario: the pet store. Noah has an excessive amount of stuffed animals he has received as gifts and hand-me-downs. Using only the stuffed animals one would find at a pet store, we made groups of like animals and placed them together in 'cages'. I was the cashier again, and the kids chose the pets they wished to buy. It was a short-lived activity, in comparison to the grocery store scenario. Nonetheless, it is great to see their increased interest in pretend play. I know there will be a day in the not too distant future when I won't be able to get them to stop playing store!
Reading can be contagious! I snapped these photos first thing in the morning, as the kids decided to start off their school day with 'not so silent reading'.
We continue to practise gluing using foam letters and shapes. Also pictured below is one of our special activities: playing with Noah's rocket ship.    
The kids had a blast playing in the tents last week. I think it was the longest they have ever played in them. They usually get a little wild at some point during this activity, and someone ends up getting hurt. That didn't happen this time. I guess they are settling down somewhat at the ripe old age of 2 and a half! 


I think these are some beautiful shots of the twins. They are growing so fast! They are recently, with much encouragement, starting to actually sleep instead of viewing nap time as showtime! (I could previously only get them to sleep if I lay down in the bed near them.) You see, they nap in separate playpens, but in the same room. Before I leave the room, they lie down, looking exhausted. But once that door closes, the show begins, and they start belting out the tunes. One time I even heard Lucas start to cry, and complain that Maya was not following his "set list". "Lucas wants to sing Itsy Bitsy Spider!" he anxiously and impatiently cried. 


As I was trying to capture what looked like Noah's Canadian Toddler Idol audition, I got an unexpected cute exchange between the oldest buddies of the group: Noah and Aidas. Aidas always makes everyone laugh. What a delightful soul he is!!

(Oh, and excuse my grammatical slip. It's "Where ARE the other two?" Tsk. Tsk.)

One of the daycare kids is currently away on a trip. We miss him and hope he is doing well. Meanwhile, we've gotten the chance to meet Theo. He LOVES cars and trains, and the rest of the group really enjoys his company. He often gives the other kids hugs. He did need quite a few reminders to stay with the group on his initial trips outdoors with us! Although he is adapting at lightning speed, his stay is only temporary.


The kids like to play in a particular area outside. They pretend it is a house. In the pictures below, the kids are setting the 'dining room table'. They generously gave me more than my fill of pine needles - er - I mean French fries, for dinner!



I had to get a shot of Aidas with his sticks. As soon as we get outside, he begins scanning the ground for sticks. He usually ends up carrying quite a few around for the duration of our outdoor play. (In fact, I often find that he is still clutching something by the time we get back to the apartment.) It's just so cute. It's how he rolls.


Here are the serious readers again! It is interesting that they have started their own routine: they fairly consistently read books immediately after lunch. I guess they are giving their food time to digest.


Today we dyed and painted Easter eggs. The kids were pretty excited. They would have gladly coloured eggs all day long, if I let them!

I used hard-boiled eggs, since they're slightly harder to break! I also used a kit, and supplemented with some of our paint and paintbrushes.


And here are the beautiful eggs they coloured. They are very proud and know exactly which ones they did. What a lovely day!



No comments:

Post a Comment