Sunday, August 22, 2010

Planning a Birthday Party for a 2-year-old

This weekend, Noah got to go to his buddy Hollis's 1st birthday party. Happy birthday, Hollis!

On the left: Not impressed with the singing of "Happy Birthday". On the right: Mommy Hien feeding her boy.

In one more month, Noah will turn 2, and we will throw a little party for him too. I wasn't sure exactly what a party for a 2-year-old should look like, so I looked for some advice on the net. Here are some tidbits of advice from cyberspace that I will be taking into account when planning Noah's party.


  • "By the age of two, guests will appreciate a little goody bag." (http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/traditions/2yrpartyguide/) I know from the 3 kids' parties we've been to, that Noah did really enjoy the loot bag. It's nice for all the children to get a little treat, especially after watching their peer open gifts!


  • "Just keep the party short to avoid a house full of cranky toddlers." (http://www.chiff.com/entertain/2-year-old-party.htm) Everyone discussing this topic seems to offer this advice! I think 2 hours is the maximum amount of time a party for a 2-year-old should be. They just get overstimulated after a while, with all the commotion.


  •  "Two-year-olds don't have a long attention span, so don't plan too many structured activities," (http://www.momstoday.com/articles/birthday-time/happy-second-birthday-4939/) I was looking at some websites recommending games like 'Pass the Parcel' and 'Simon Says'. Really??!! The two-year-olds I know would not play these games, at least not in the traditional sense. 'Pass the Parcel' would entail one child running down the hall with the parcel, and the other children trying to tear it away from him. There would probably be biting involved. Simon Says would go like this, "Simon says clap your hands. Now stomp your feet. Oops, Simon didn't say to stomp your feet! You're all out." Poor confused children. No, I think the best tip for planning a party for a child this young is: Keep it simple! I see it as a larger, more organized playdate.


  • '"Don't worry if your child has a meltdown, refuses to eat cake or is just generally disinterested in the whole event." Dabek reminds us that toddlers can be unpredictable. "If you relax, have fun and don't set too many expectations for the party, you will have a much happier outcome!"'  (http://www.momstoday.com/articles/birthday-time/happy-second-birthday-4939/3/)  
I have yet to plan this party, so I am still mulling over a lot of ideas. Once I have had the party, I will add my own tips to this list, based on what went well at the party. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment